Fabric Covered Flower Pots

Thank you so much for all your well wishes after yesterday’s engagement announcement! We’re already starting to make some wedding plans and I’m sure that I’ll be sharing lots of the details with all of you in the coming months. Any advice is greatly appreciated!

– – –

As I usually do in the summer months, I took all of our houseplants out onto the porch for the warmer weather. It’s a great chance for them to get lots of sunshine and rain, versus the usual neglect that I give them. Well…I sort of forgot about them out there. And some of them got baked (too much sun), while others didn’t have enough drainage and drowned in the rain. Oops. No one ever said I had a green thumb.

 

So this time, I decided to make some lovely fabric covered flower pots as a reminder to take care of them. Maybe if they are right out there in the open, I won’t be able to forget to water them?

 

This was a really inexpensive project. I used terracotta pots from the dollar store, mod podge and acrylic paints I had and scrap fabric from the fabric covered Easter eggs this year and the new couch throw cushion covers last summer. Adding on the fabric did take a little time, but it was so worth it to see the results.

 

What you’ll need:

  • terracotta pots with matching saucers
  • fabric, cut into 1 inch strips
  • matching acrylic paint
  • Mod Podge
  • paint brushes
  • spray adhesive (if you want to make water-resistant)

 

I painted the pots a similar fabric to the fabric I was going to use, to keep the orangey-brown colour of the terracotta from showing through. Allow the paint to completely dry before adding the fabric.

 

Mod Podge is awesome for applying and giving it a protective coat. I found that it isn’t too water resistant, so I doubled up with a spray of acrylic spray afterwards and it worked great.

 

Cut the fabric into strips that are just long enough to go over the top of the terracotta pot, down the sides and under the bottom lip. I used a rotary cutter and ruler to make the cutting go faster.

 

Going one strip at a time, apply a light coating of Mod Podge on the painted pot, and place the fabric strip on top. I tried to place the strips in a way that sort of kept the polka dot pattern in place.

 

Apply a thin coat of the Mod Podge on top. I trimmed any little threads off with a pair of scissors.

 

For the pot’s saucer, I painted it white (to match the polka dots) and then painted the top lip with a gold acrylic paint. The gold paint was quite thin, but after several coats, it started to really have some nice shine to it.

 

For the medium pot, I used this awesome Tonic Living fabric that I used to recover the couch throw cushions. It has this great scroll pattern, so I cut the strips in a way that I could keep some of the design on the pot, but carefully overlapping the pieces.

 

I continued to go around the pot, applying the fabric strips, while trying to get some of the pattern in place.

 

It didn’t perfectly line up, but you can still see most of the pattern. After the fabric dried, I painted some of the gold paint onto the taupe parts of the fabric to make them pop a little.

 

For the large pot, I wanted to pick one of the colours in the medium pot’s fabric and use it as a large accent. This matte navy blue along with the gold rim was the perfect backdrop for the other pots.

 

I filed the bottom of each pot with stones to let excess water filter out of the plants, and then potted the houseplants with extra soil from our garden.

 

Now I have a lovely little collection of houseplants in our living room. Not only do they look nice, but they are great for recycling the air too! Let’s just hope I remember to water them now….

 

– – –

Linked Up To:

So Much Better With Age

Get the latest posts and my monthly newsletter in your inbox!

* = required field

powered by MailChimp!

Comments

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *