One Room Challenge Week 4: Bringing Back the Character

As a quick reminder, over the span of six weeks, I’m making over our master bedroom at the farmhouse as part of the One Room Challenge hosted by Calling It Home. So far I’ve shared the plan, updated some furniture and figured out our lighting situation. This week we finally got to work on a part of the project that I’ve been envisioning for months.

When we first walked through the farmhouse two years ago, one of the things I fell in love with was all the beautiful trim throughout the whole house. In most places, the original baseboards and casings are in place, but in several places throughout the house, there are new additions where closets and room were added.

original-baseboards-trim-1903-farmhouse

In our master bedroom, the original casings are around the door and window, as well as 11″ high baseboards (above). The two closets in our room were built many years later and were trimmed out with quarter round. I knew that the best way to make this room feel like it fit the rest of the house was to fix the places where the trim was missing.

metrie-trim

When we started looking at solutions to our space, I learned about Metrie. Since 1926, they’ve been creating high-quality, finely crafted architectural elements. I was able to find the perfect baseboard, crown moulding and casings to compliment the existing trim. I loved that we were able to keep the parts that we loved and were in good shape, while still updating the space. They have so many different styles and elements to fit any space.

master-bedroom-wall-before

We also decided to make a feature wall behind the bed using Metrie‘s tongue-and-groove MDF planks. We could see that the wall had previously been “repaired” with stucco to hide several areas where the lathe and plaster was damaged. We started by trying to remove the original baseboard along this wall, but quickly learned that it wasn’t going to be that easy.

removing-century-home-baseboard

It turns out that the baseboards were a good 2″ thick and that the lathe and plaster was resting on it. Using a small handheld saw, Garrett was able to cut the top edge off the baseboard and give us a flat spot where the vertical planks could rest and be almost flush.

feature-wall-tongue-and-groove-before-crown

We cut the tongue-and-groove planks to fit the wall and put them up with a nail gun, being careful to use a level as we went to get the lines straight. They attached to each other very easily and made perfect v-grooves. Each board has two “planks” making it quick to put up the wall without adding each plank individually. Originally I’d thought about keeping the feature wall white like the trim, but now I’m seriously thinking about painting it the same colour as the rest of the room will be.

original-baseboards-new-plank-wall

On the bottom, we’ll be covering up the edge with new baseboards.

adding-crown-molding

The top edge with be covered by the new crown moulding, which I cannot wait to put up. I can already see how it’s going to transform this space.

closet-door-trim-before

We had enough time this week to start working on the closet casing as well. We ripped off the old 60’s style thin wood strip casings and pulled off the quarter round along the carpet, for each closet.

closet-trim-new-painted-dresser

We added the thicker casings from Metrie that look like they could have been there with the rest of the trim for 114 years. We still have the baseboard and crown moulding to add, along with new closet doors. As you can see, we’ve got the freshly painted dresser back upstairs now too.

rustoleum-pure-gold-dresser-handles

I ended up going with the soft gold spray paint on the handles.

dresser-handles-rustoleum-metallics-pure-gold

I think it looks great with the muted grey chalk paint of the dresser, helping to keep the soft and serene look we’re going for.

repainted-dresser-rustoleum-chalked-paint

I love how the curved feet of the dresser really stands out now and compliments all the trim as well.

plank-wall-before-crown-molding

Once we finish adding the trim, it will be time to paint, hang up the wall lamps and add the finishing touches. Only two weeks left and I’m feeling pretty good about making our deadline.

nightstand-basket

I even did a little shopping this week, finding these wood and wire baskets that fit perfectly onto the nightstand shelves. Finally a spot to hold all the books that I never find time to read, ha!

wrapped-canvas-wedding-photos

The only artwork I have figured out are these wrap canvas prints of our wedding day, but I’m hoping to find some more little touches I can add.

Disclosure – Metrie generously provided me with the beautiful trim. I highly recommend their high-quality products. All opinions are my own. 

orc-guest-participant

Be sure to stop by every Thursday for the next six weeks to get an update on the progress. Check out the One Room Challenge blog to see all the other participants as well.

 

/ / /

Farmhouse Master Bedroom One Room Challenge:

Get the latest posts and my monthly newsletter in your inbox!

* = required field

powered by MailChimp!

Comments

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *